If you have any further questions, we will be happy to help you at wahl2021@oeh.ac.at.

    • When are the ÖH elections happening?
      The nationwide ÖH elections will take place from May 18 to May 20, 2021.
      Early voting (May 14 and 15) at FH/PH/PU is possible.

    • Who is eligible to vote?
      All ordinary members of the ÖH (students) are eligible to vote if they have registered for the current summer semester 2021 no later than March 20th. “Incomings” (students who are attending their institution as part of an exchange program), “outgoings” (students who are currently studying abroad for a semester), students pursuing an individual degree program and foreign students have the possibility to vote.

    • Who can request an absentee ballot?
      Everyone who is eligible to vote.

    • What races can be voted in by mail-in ballot?
      Only federal-level and institution-level representatives can be elected by mail-in ballots. Student representatives at program level can exclusively be elected at in-person polling stations at your respective institution.

    • What is the cutoff date for requesting an absentee ballot?
      You can request your absentee ballot up until a week before the first election day, so until May 11, 2021.

    • How is the absentee ballot delivered?
      The absentee ballot will be sent via post to your registered postal address. If you want to receive your absentee ballot at a different address, you must add this information to the ballot request.

    • When does my mail-in ballot need to reach the election commission for it to be counted?
      In order for your vote to be counted, the absentee ballot must be correctly filled out and reach the election commission by 6pm on May 19, 2021.

    • Where do I take my filled-out ballot?
      You can either take your absentee ballot to a mailbox near you or hand it in on one of the election days at your local institution.

    • What do I do if I don’t have a national insurance number?

      Instead of the national insurance number, the substitute registration number can be provided.
      If the substitute registration number is missing, it is not possible to issue the voter card.Detailed requirements for the issuance of the electoral card can be found under §53 HSWO.

    • I do have the right to vote for one or more universities. Is it possible to apply for an absentee ballot for only one university?
      You only have to apply for an absentee ballot  once. You will then automatically receive the ballot papers for the BV and all HV(s) for which you are eligible to vote.

    • I am entitled to vote for several universities. Can I vote at one university for all my elections?
      BV is always to vote at the first educational institution where you show up for the election process.
      Therefore, you can vote for the BV, the HV and the STV for your studies at the first educational institution.
      If you also study at a second educational institution, you can then vote for the AG and the STV for your studies there.

    • How do I get a substitute number plate as a non-Austrian?
      The substitute number plate is issued by the educational institutions for those who do not have an Austrian SV number. Please log in to your online university platform and check your personal data – you should be able to find your substitute registration number there.

    • How is the authentication for the absentee ballot done?
      Authentication is done either with a mobile phone signature, citizen card or by uploading an ID document.

    • Wrong mailing address for postal voting – what to do?
      Unfortunately, the absentee ballot application cannot be corrected or withdrawn.

    • Do I receive a confirmation email after submitting my application? How do I know that everything has worked properly?
      Yes, once it has been processed by the ÖH electoral commission, a notification will be sent.

    • I am entitled to vote at several universities. Can I vote once by absentee ballot and the rest of the universities locally?
      This is not possible. If you apply for a voting card, you will be sent the ballot paper for the federal representation and the ballot papers for all university representations for which you are entitled to vote.

      § Section 51 of the HSWO 2014 states: “If an electoral card has been applied for by an eligible voter and sent to him or her or collected by him or her from the electoral commission of the Austrian National Union of Students, voting in person before the competent electoral commission or sub-electoral commission or sub-commission for the election of the federal representation, the university representation and the student representation is only possible by handing in this electoral card together with all documents. After handing in the election card together with all documents, a personal vote is permitted before all other election commissions or sub-election commissions or sub-commissions where another right to vote exists.


If you have already requested an absentee ballot, you can only vote for your program representatives if you bring any and all received absentee voting documents to your polling station in a blank state where they will be exchanged for a regular ballot. The enclosed affidavit must also remain blank.